Team Maywood Cycling
Team Maywood offers participants group cycling rides from early May through late August. The program includes Monday evening rides, five weekend rides, and an end-of season celebration ride on August 27, 2022 with the opportunity to ride up to 100 miles.
About the Rides
Monday evening rides
Our Monday evening rides start and end at Maywood Environmental Park in Sheboygan. Rides leave promptly at 5:30pm. Various riding levels are offered. Each level rides with a skilled volunteer trainer who provides instruction on riding skills appropriate to that level of cycling. Distances will vary from 10-20 miles, based on the riding level and route selected.
Weekend rides provide the opportunity to build your endurance on longer routes. At least two ride lengths will be offered. Participants are encouraged to ride in pairs or small groups of a similar riding pace and ability. A rest stop is offered at the mid-way point of these longer routes.
End of Season Celebration Ride
Our final weekend ride of the season will be held on August 27. The ride will offer several route lengths including the option to ride 100 miles. This ride is only open to our Team Maywood participants.
Note: If there are a large number of participants in a group, the group may be split into subgroups to allow for safer riding.
Group 1: This level is designed for the beginning cyclist or the cyclists who is looking for rides at a more relaxed pace. An emphasis is placed on safe individual riding skills and introduces safe group riding practices.
Group 2: This level rides at a slight faster pace than Group 1. Cyclists in this group should have strong safe individual riding practices. Emphasis will be placed on group cycling.
Group 3: In Group 3, there is a greater emphasis on group riding skills such as drafting. Cyclists in this group should feel comfortable riding in closer proximity to other participants at a moderate riding pace.
Group 4: This level expands on the riding skills of group three. Participants should be strong in both individual riding and group riding skills.
Group 5: Riders are this level should be highly skilled in group riding and able to maintain a fast riding pace throughout the rides.
The Monday evening rides use a no drop policy. At times this requires faster paced riders to slow down to the pace of the group. The riding groups also stop to assist any rider in their group who may need help during the ride. Examples include fixing a flat tire, reattaching a chain, or stopping for a medical need.
2022 Ride Options and Pricing
Full Program Registration
Includes all Monday evening and weekend rides
Maywood Member $165
Monday Evening Rides Only
Includes all Monday evening rides
Maywood Member $135
Add-on end of season celebration ride $15*
*This is only available to program participants
Weekend Rides Only
includes end of season celebration ride
Maywood member $60
Become a Maywood Association member to receive the discounted member rate. Membership start at $25 and cover all members of your household (at one address).
Additional Program Information
Read our Frequently Asked Questions document to learn more program specifics.
Safety is the first priority on all our rides. We reserve the right to cancel a ride should weather conditions make riding unsafe. Examples of unsafe weather conditions include heavy rain, thunderstorms, heavy fog, extreme heat, and extreme cold. We do not reschedule or refund Monday evening rides that are cancelled due to weather. Should you choose to cycle after a ride has officially been cancelled, you are doing so on your own and without the support of the Team Maywood program.
Weather cancellation announcements are provided in several ways. After 3:30pm, we will email all participants if there is a weather cancellation. We will also post the cancellation to our website events calendar and on Facebook. If you are unable to access any of these sources, you may call the Ecology Center for an update. Please keep in mind our phone staff and volunteers leave for the day at 4pm.
Refunds, less a $25 processing fee, must be requested by April 25, 2022. After April 25 we do not refund any portion of the registration fee. You may transfer your registration to another individual.
As a participant of the program, there are several expectations of you:
- Have your bicycle in good working order before each ride. We strongly recommend having your bike checked over by one of our area bike shops. While we will have basic tools for tasks like inflating tires, our volunteer trainers and staff are not able to repair your bicycle at the program.
- Have your bicycle fit before the program beings. Area bike shops can assist you in adjusting seat height and tilt, handlebar height, and other parts of your bicycle to ensure a comfortable riding experience.
- Wear a properly fitted helmet on all rides. Helmets are mandatory.
- Obey all State of Wisconsin cycling laws and any safety guidelines put in place by Maywood. This includes riding no more than two abreast on all roads and not impeding the flow of traffic when group riding.
- We strongly encourage the use of taillights on your bicycle or helmet. This greatly improves your visibility to drivers on the road.
- Be respectful of our trainers and staff. Our trainers volunteer their time and make this program possible. If you have a concern with your riding group, please talk with your trainer or one of the program coordinators.
- Carry emergency contact information on every ride and have a contact who can transport you if needed.
- We rely on our participants to know their limits. If you are not feeling well, you may want to ride with a slower paced group or skip the ride.
- As with all our Maywood programs, we ask that your follow COVID safety precautions. If you have symptoms of COVID, are awaiting COVID test results, or have known exposure to COVID, you may not participate in Team Maywood until the CDC recommended quarantine or isolation period has passed. When community transmission rates are considered LOW or MEDIUM, masks are not required inside the Ecology Center. Should community transmission rates be listed as HIGH, masks will be required inside the Ecology Center.
Supplies Participants Should Use or Carry on Every Team Maywood Ride
- Wear a properly fitted helmet
- Two filled water bottles
- Identification and emergency contact information
- A cell phone (unless you do not own one)
- Medication or snacks you may need during the ride
- A spare tube for your specific tire or patch kit and a way to inflate the tire
Additional Recommended Supplies
- Eye protection (sunglasses, clear glasses, etc)
- Cycling gloves
- Tail light that attaches to your bike or helmet
- Additional clothing layers should weather call for it
- Plastic sandwich bag for your phone or wallet if it rains
- Seat pack or other way of carrying supplies on your bike