Staff and Board of Directors
Sam became the Park Director in April of 2021 but has been enjoying all Maywood has to offer since she was two years old. As Park Director, Sam gets to do a little of everything! Education, outreach, property enhancement and maintenance, grant writing, strengthening and forming Maywood’s great partnerships… the list goes on. Sam has a Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Policy and Planning from the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay and an Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice from Lakeshore Technical College
Favorite thing about Maywood: In every season and even day to day, the landscape can change, teaching us to slow down, listen, and learn! From skiing and snowshoeing, to maple sugaring, to bird watching in the spring and hiking the 6 diverse ecosystems, there is ALWAYS something magical happening at Maywood.
Angie has been with Maywood since 2006. As the Trust Administrator much of her work is behind the scenes ensuring the organization functions smoothly. Angie has a Communications degree from the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse and nearly 20 years of experience working with non-profits. When not at Maywood, she enjoys gardening and reading.
Favorite thing about Maywood: There is something new to discover every day of the year.
Barb joined the Maywood staff in June, 2020 after a 30-year career in healthcare administration. As Volunteer Coordinator she is the primary desk receptionist in the Ecology Center and maintains the Ecology Store. Barb is also responsible for the recruitment and coordination of volunteers for the many events and projects at Maywood.
Favorite thing about Maywood: The wonderful things that nature presents to us each passing season.
Michael has over 25 years of experience working in healthcare as a Maintenance Manager. He has enjoyed serving others and listening to the patients’ life stories. Michael enjoys using his skills to contribute to the utmost professional needs of everyone around him. Michael is a powerful force in the workplace and uses his positive attitude and tireless energy to encourage others to work hard and succeed.
Michael is inspired daily by his two daughters. In his free time he likes to hunt, fish, cook, and spend time with his grandsons.
Ellwood H. May Environmental Park Association of Sheboygan County, Inc.
The Association is a 501c4 non-profit membership organization. The Advisory Board of the Association is made up of 18 at-large Association members and 17 organizational representatives. Together they work to advance Maywood’s mission of fostering environmental stewardship through educational and outdoor experiences designed to connect our community with the natural world.
Members are elected to 3-year terms at the Association’s Annual Meeting that is held each April. Officers are elected to one-year terms at the Advisory Board’s May meeting.
Current Advisory Board Members
- Ed Abell
- Marlene Fors
- Abby Hawkinson
- Eleanor A. Jung
- Ellen Klusmeier
- Betty Kuplic
- Doug Leppanen
- Andrew Morgan
- John Nelson
- Peter Pittner
- Laura Rammer
- Jennifer Rutten
- Joseph Sheehan
- Jen Smith – Board Treasurer
- Martha Steinbruecker – Board Secretary
- Mitchell Tenpas
- James Van Akkeren
- Donna Wendlandt
- Charles Conrardy
- Joe Kerlin – Superintendent of Marina, Parks & Forestry – City of Sheboygan
- John Koehler – Sheboygan Community Recreation Department
- Marjorie Mattern – City of Sheboygan Park & Forestry Commissioners
- AAUW Sheboygan Branch – Pat Glass, representative
- Boy Scouts of America – Sheboygan Area – Marlyn Meinnert, representative
- City of Sheboygan Aldermanic Representative – Amanda Salazar
- Early Bird Rotary Club – Dan Redman, representative
- Girl Scouts of America – Manitou Council – Hope Spies, representative
- Kiwanis Club of Greater Sheboygan – Jon Keckonen, representative
- Lake Shore Garden Club – Karen Merlau, representative
- Lakeland University – Paul Pickhardt – Board President
- Sheboygan Area School District – Alexandra Nugent, representative
- Sheboygan County Audubon Society – Greg Farrell, representative
- Sheboygan County Board – Brian Smith, representative
- Sheboygan County Conservation Association – Mike DeMaster, representative
- Sheboygan Rotary – Mike Roth, representative – Board Vice President
- Town & Country Garden Club – Ray Rogers, representative
- UW Green Bay Sheboygan Campus – James Kabrhel, representative
Environmental Park Trust of Sheboygan County
The Trust of Maywood is a 501c3 nonprofit that supports the mission of Maywood. Officers and Trustees oversee the work of the Trust. They are elected to one-year terms at the Advisory Board’s May meeting.
2021-2022 Officers and Trustees
- Paul Pickhardt, President and Trustee
- Michael Roth, Vice President and Trustee
- Jen Smith, Treasurer and Trustee
- Martha Steinbruecker, Secretary and Trustee
- Mike DeMaster, Trustee
- Peter Pittner, Trustee
- Donna Wendlandt, Trustee